How to Thrive in the Sciences at UCLA and Beyond: A New Student Welcome
Wed 9/22 • 2:30PM - 4:30PM PDT
De Neve Auditorium (panel) and East Facing Courtyard (reception)
Starting a new phase of your life in an unfamiliar environment can be stressful in even the best of times, but especially during a time like this.
The UCLA Division of Physical Sciences wants you to know that we provide a supportive, welcoming community with resources and people ready to help you succeed.
Dean of Physical Sciences Miguel García-Garibay invites you to join him at
How to Thrive in the Sciences at UCLA and Beyond
A getting-to-know-you event connecting you to your new Physical Sciences community through casual, candid discussions with Physical Sciences alumni, faculty, and current undergraduates.
Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2021
2:30–4:30 p.m. Pacific/Los Angeles time
De Neve Auditorium
* followed by an outdoor reception *
* livestream link to be provided for those who can’t attend in person *
Join us if you’re interested in any of the following majors or areas of research:
atmospheric and oceanic science | atmospheric and oceanic Sciences-Mathematics | climate sciences
(Department of Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences)
biochemistry | chemistry | chemistry-materials science
(Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry)
geology | geology-engineering geology | geophysics
(Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences)
math | applied math | math-economics | data theory
(Department of Mathematics)
physics | astronomy and astrophysics | biophysics
(Department of Physics & Astronomy)
statistics | data theory
(Department of Statistics)
(Institute of the Environment and Sustainability)
• Meet professors you’re most likely to learn from during your first year
• Talk with older undergraduates who were in your shoes not long ago about their experiences with research, classes, and student life
• Make connections with alumni who’ve gone on to a wide variety of careers thanks to their undergraduate degree in the Physical Sciences
• Cultivate new friendships with fellow new students!
Students who attend will have the opportunity to enter into a raffle for a special event with Dean Miguel García-Garibay, who will be there to welcome you!